24/09/2012

Bin The iPhone 5. It Hasn’t A Clue Where We Are But We’re Surely Heading For The Wrong Place.

Iphone 5
iPhone 5
Silvio Cabot writes from Somewhere: My new iPhone 5 doesn’t know my way home. That is official. Apple with all its genius to fool people that they’re getting the best mobile in the world has cocked up. Its mapping APP doesn’t work. 
This, of course, amounts to a crisis. 
A man on the French TV show France24 claimed that he lived in a place called Dudley. Clearly he does not. Clearly the man is a fool because his iPhone map shows no such place as Dudley exists. His clean socks, his old school photographs and his teddy bear must be somewhere entirely different because Apple knows best.
iphone 5 queues
iPhone 5 queues
Simply, the iPhone has taken over. We no longer talk to each other in restaurants because like everyone else in the restaurant we are looking at our iPhones. If we want to know the time of the train we ask our iPhone. A lawyer next to me on a train to Canterbury from London’s Charing Cross checked her iPhone to find out where she changed trains. She did so instead of asking the guard who was standing just along from us.

We’re not only obsessed enough to camp out for 48 hours to get the new one (even though it could not tell us where it is we are camped) but we are determined to pay whatever is asked for it because such is the Apple hold, no one can discount it. 
We even like it being expensive. Can we get out of this? I think so. I have left my wiggly amp phone in its box. Instead, I have bought for £9 a small, pretty Samsung that just phones and texts. It does the job and I hope it will catch on. If I lose it? 
I’ll ring it from the Pay As You Go twin I also bought – at £9, I can afford it. If someone picks it up, I’ll ask them where they are. They will probably know – unless of course they consult their iPhone. Then I’m afraid, we’re all lost. 
Via Stirring Trouble Internationally - (A humorous take on news and current affairs) This is a partial extract of a main article found over on Stirring Trouble Internationally dot com.

Photograph showing Apple Newton hand held comp...
Photograph showing Apple Newton hand held computer, cleaned up background in photo editing software (Photo credit: Wikipedia)