R.F.Wilson writes from London: The English Football Association has scored a goal against common sense yesterday, finding Chelsea’s and former England’s captain John Terry guilty of racially abusing Anton Ferdinand of QPR during a match last October. Despite a criminal court clearing Terry of these very same charges last July the grey suits at the FA decided that they can act as judges and banned Terry for four matches, slapping a fine of two hundred and twenty grand on him as well.
Ever since that incident in October countless people have been coming up with stories how racism was rife in English football, with whole documentaries made and, even more amazingly, shown several times in a row, on national television, trying to convince everyone that even though black footballers were in an absolute majority and earned just as much as everyone else they still felt as outcasts who didn’t really get the respect they deserved.
Tough questions were also raised as to why there not enough balck football managers while ignoring the fact that managers were selected on the baisis of their abilities and not their race.
Legal experts who have monitored Terry’s case with interest expect the FA to start acting more like a criminal court from now on, charging players, fans and even random passers-by with all sorts of crimes, including lack of genuine interest in the game, terrorism and intent to say things that should never be said.
This post is an extract from Stirring Trouble Internationally - (A humorous take on news and current affairs).
- Chelsea's Terry banned 4 games for racial abuse (sfluxe.com)
- Chelsea skipper Terry shocks English football with international retirement (tribalfootball.com)
- Terry Gets Four-Match Ban For Racial Abuse (sfluxe.com)
- FA suspends John Terry four matches for racial abuse (usatoday.com)
- FA bans Chelsea soccer captain John Terry four matches for racially abusing opponent (vancouversun.com)
- FA Finds John Terry Guilty in Anton Ferdinand Racism Scandal (bleacherreport.com)
- John Terry banned for 4 matches, fined £220,000 racial abuse (3news.co.nz)
- FA bans Terry for 4 matches (canada.com)